Whilst the installation directions included with most open source computer software are great, It is usually easy to spot at least on thing that’s missing. Of course that missing piece is normally related to the host, otherwise, they would have it in their documentation.
PhpBB is used by millions of individuals every single day, thereby making it the most extensively used open source system for forums on the planet. Whether you want to stay in touch with a modest group of friends, or possibly looking to set up a large multi-category board for a corporate web site, phpBB has the attributes you need. PhpBB is easy to set up; get started in minutes!
Please note, the installation of phpBB calls for 1 MySQL database.
Step-by-step installation guidelines for Forums:
Different people have different ways of setting theirs up. Some use HostGator, GoDaddy or other realted means. Regardless of how you set it up, the end result is what really matter. In this procedure, we shall use “HostPapa”, which is one platform that works in a similar way to the ones mentioned above.
- Log in to your HostPapa dashboard: https://hostpapa.com/dashboard
- Click on My cPanel. If you have more than a single domain associated with your HostPapa account, click on the acceptable domain link, then enter your cPanel password if needed.
- Under Software program/Services, select “Softaculous”.
- From the left hand menu, below Forums, choose phpBB.
- Click the blue Install button.
- You might then configure the Computer software Setup.
- Choose Protocol: If your website has SSL, you should decide on what HTTPS protocol you want to use– if not, either HTTP option will function.
- Choose Domain: Pick the domain on which you want to install phpBB.
- In Directory: Leave this blank to install into the root directory of the above domain name.
IMPORTANT: If you have other application/scripts installed on this domain’s root directory, make sure you create a new folder and specify its name in this field to be able to complete the installation. If you don’t, you will overwrite current installations.
- Database Name: This will be pre-populated; you might leave it as is.
You could then configure the Board Settings.
- Board Name: The name of your new forum can be anything you want it to be.
- Site Description: Choose a description for your new forum.
- Board Email: Enter the e-mail address for your new forum.
- Table Prefix: This will be pre-populated; you may possibly leave it as is.
You may possibly then configure the Admin Account.
- Admin Username: This is pre-populated; you could leave it as is or select a new username.
- Admin Password: This is pre-populated; you might leave it as is or pick a new password. For future use, make sure that you keep a record of it somewhere.
IMPORTANT: Pick a secure password to guarantee the safety of your account.
- Admin Email: This is pre-populated with the admin e-mail associated with your domain name; nevertheless, it is strongly recommended that you pick an alternate e-mail that is not associated with your account.
You may then Choose Language.
Select Language: Pick a language from the dropdown menu.
Click the plus sign beside Advanced Options; it is highly suggested that you DO NOT disable email notifications. Keeping your scripts up to date will ensure the security of your account.
For the installation information to be emailed to your cPanel account’s primary email address, leave the Email installation information field blank. Must you wish to have them sent to another email address, enter it right here.
And lastly, click Install.
That’s it! You just installed PhpBB and your forum is ready to roll. Best of luck!